For those that dont know about Asbestos in Artex here is good Info
Artex is a trade name for a ‘stipple finish surface’.
Lots of local companies will remove it for you at cost. In the industry we assume it is dangerous and don’t touch it at all, we test it. The test takes around 10 days to be discovered clear or not.
All ‘Artex’ has been free of asbestos for around 20-30 years now, so if it is new-ish then it will be clear. If you don’t know how old it is, then you can get it tested. So use your judgement, if your house was built in 1990, then it will be clear!
Take caution if you suspect it has been there a long time. Asbestos generaly kills around 25-40 years after exposure, and it is the small dust particals that go deepest into the lung, that can cause a mesothelioma cancer, or lung function problems. There are different colours of asbestos, under a microscope the particles are either brown white or blue, all are fatal, all must be treated respectfully. Exposure will not harm you next week! But it is something you must bare in mind.
Tests cost around £30 per room, and local companies will test it for you. If you own your property and want to get rid of the stuff cheaply, I suggest you do the following.
Use a wallpaper steamer, steam it off carefully, get it very wet. Whilst it is wet it is harmless, and ‘Artex’ contains low levels of asbestos dust anyway, but still dangerous amounts.
As it is the dust that causes ill health, I would remove it wet, and steam it gently. Take your time and bag it up and seal the bags closed. Take them to the local tip and tell them they may be asbestos.
Red asbestos bags are available from GOOD suppliers of construction equipment, they will have ‘asbestos do not open’ written on them.
If you don’t feel comfortable doing this in your home, then call an expert in.
At the moment there is nothing stopping you from removing it should you wish from a point of law. Never dump the substance rubbish though.
If the ‘Artex’ is in good condition, and not cracking up or flaking off, I would leave it.
If you really want to remove it, do it in such a way as not to create any dust. Bag it up whilst it is still damp, and add a small amount of water to each bag and seal the bag.