Yesterday was one of those so boring days. We couldn’t believe that we were so cold and grey here in the South and the NE was saying it was the hottest day of the year. We are such a small island -its so crazy.
Trial wise it was a good day even though I had the shivers up my back and I had to keep taking the tablets but after what all the other Warriors on Chemo and suffering with sickness and loss of appetite and that metallic taste in their mouths this really is a walk in the park.
I slept in the afternoon woke up and took the dog for a walk came home and dropped off again.
Still at least I was snacking.
Today we have woken up to even more rain.
After a very boring cold wet day my Facebook world got exciting when Richard Clarke messaged me to read Sarina van Ruth’s Blog for Asbestos Justice article on Armley and the History of Asbestos.
I was able to find June Hancocks Video of Dust. I put the blog on Mesowarriors Article Page and Sheila Andrews said we saw a play about this in Leeds several years ago, people dying from this mystery disease, ironic really, when they diagnosed mike, he knew exactly what meso was because of the play. mike remembers that it wasn’t actors playing the parts it was relatives of those who had died, strange i cant remember this play and i usually have a brilliant memory, he never remembers anything but can distinctly recall the whole of the play even though he ad absolutely no idea he was going to be struck down with this dreadful disease-strange isnt it?
Sarina has put the video into the blog
June Hancock, born in 1936, was a little girl when she was first exposed to the deadly dust. She had lived only a mere 250 yards away from the J. W. Roberts factory.
Her mother, who too past away from Mesothelioma in 1982, used to run a small corner shop at the bottom of the road. June’s memory of the dust was like any other child in Armley:
I have played a tiny piece thanks to Richard in a really great write up that will go down in Asbestos history.
In 1874, a small town in Leeds saw the opening of its first large three-story factory on Canal Road, Armley. Hopes were high and employment was up. Yet the residents of Armley were none the wiser about the danger that loomed at the top of their roads.
A danger that sprinkled its way onto the streets of Armley, the homes of families and into the lungs of the innocent.
The People of Armley
Home to some 1500 residential houses and the population of 6,734 in the 1870s, Armley’s residents found themselves living next to what would be the biggest killer of Mesothelioma in the UK.
The nearest school located to the factory was the Armley Board School (later to become Armley Council School, and referred to by the locals as “The Clock School”. The school was built in 1878 at a cost of £13,108 and its clock tower became a “local land mark”
If you only read one blog on Asbestos in your life– read this as it is brilliant and so informative.
Sarina writes on facebook
Finished my very first huge research article for work! Very proud of it, so if you have time, have a read.
It’s shocking and saddening, researching more and more about Asbestos and Mesothelioma has opened my eyes to this huge hidden killer. Something that is STILL LEGAL in the USA.
PS I have found Dust