A Diary of A Mesowarrior Living with Mesothelioma -Asbestos Awareness Week Day 2, A Mesowarrior Story Susan Maughan death, and why a call to ban Log Burners.


It was a lovely sunny day today and I went out at dawn this morning with the dog at 5.30am. I couldn’t sleep and it was easy to walk after a good nights sleep so I shocked the dog and put the lead on him. It was just  Dawn and all the neighbours were asleep as Louis trotted along beside me.

asbo swan

Please share. April 2nd – Day TWO of Global Asbestos Awareness Week (GAAW) blog features “Women Who Roar: Meet the 2016 Global Asbestos Awareness Week Ambassadors, Heather Von St James, Lou Williams, andMavis Nye.”

Check back tomorrow for Day THREE — “Quincy Jones, Mesothelioma Patient and Comedian, Raises Asbestos Awareness.”

I have played a part in this read our stories on this link

http://www.asbestosdiseaseawareness.org/archives/38420

I read a article that has caused a friend and I to have a chat about and we want to bring it to peoples attention.

Winsford woman ‘almost certainly’ exposed to asbestos following 1983 COD Donnington blaze, inquest hears

Susan Maughan, 63

Susan Maughan, 63

2 days ago / Kenny Lomas, Reporter /

A DISABLED Winsford woman was ‘almost certainly’ exposed to asbestos in the aftermath of an army storage warehouse fire in Donnington more than 30 years ago, an inquest has heard.

Susan Maughan, 63, of Dee Way, died in her home on October 30, 2015.

On December 2012 she was diagnosed with Mesothelioma – an aggressive form of cancer that is usually caused by asbestos exposure.

At an inquest on Thursday, March 31, a statement from Ms Maughan’s daughter, Lorraine Laketic, revealed the family moved to Northern Ireland at the height of the Troubles.

During their time there the family were in the vicinity of at least two explosions, the inquest heard.

The family later moved to Telford, in the borough of Donnington, Shropshire.

In 1983 the family were potentially exposed to asbestos following an explosion at COD Donnington, an Army storage warehouse.

As a result, ash containing asbestos was scattered over a 15 square mile area, which was linked to the death of Paula Ann Nunn – who died of mesothelioma – at a separate inquest last October.

At the time of the blaze, Ms Laketic accused the local authority of waiting too long to inform residents of the potential danger of the smoke.

“It took the local authority five days before they told the community, so they were exposed to asbestos for all that time,” Ms Laketic told the inquest.

Ms Maughan started smoking around 14, and was smoking around 20 cigarettes a day at the time of her death. She started getting chest pains around four years before she died.

Dr Peter Larmour, of High Street Medical Practice, Winsford, said in a statement that Ms Maughan visited the surgery on two occasions in 2011 and 2012 with breathing difficulties.

She was diagnosed with mesothelioma and began chemotherapy treatment, which lasted for three years.

On one occasion she had to be treated for a collapsed lung as a result of the disease, the court.

In March 2015 a CT scan showed the tumours were spreading and Ms Maughan was deemed ‘not fit for further chemotherapy’, the doctor’s statement said.

Dr Larmour said over the coming months her health deteriorated and she was given palliative care at St Luke’s Hospice.

“She died in her own home with her family. That is what she wanted,” Ms Laketic said in her statement.

Ms Maughan had several jobs over the years including a hairdresser, several cleaning jobs, bacon packer and plastic factory worker.

A post mortem concluded there was ‘no definitive proof’ of asbestos in her body though it was possible the cancer was caused by asbestos exposure.

John Pollard, Senior Coroner for Manchester South, said: “In my view there is no evidence that she was exposed to asbestos where she worked.

“There is significant evidence she may, well almost certainly, was exposed to asbestos in the aftermath of the Donnington explosion.”

Delivering his conclusion, Mr Pollard ruled that Ms Maughan’s death was an accidental one.

He said: “It was an accident that she was exposed to it and that is the only conclusion I can reach.”

Turning this into a guest blog my friend wrote

This lady’s exposure and subsequent death is very sad and also very concerning considering the increasingly large number of huge fires from recycling plants that recycling all kinds of contaminated old waste, be it wood waste extracted from construction & demolition waste from demolition of old buildings, plastic waste or whatever waste (it is all contaminated with something & lots of these older chemicals/substances found in recycled waste are now banned from new products, yet bizarrely despite them being banned because they were scientifically proven to cause cancers and other diseases, they are being put back in to new products under the guise of ‘recycling’ with no mention as to what the recycled content may contain on any MSDS, so no warning & no protection for others in the future who will be exposed). So much so that the Fire Service have raised serious concerns about the numbers and severity but no thought to those exposed, those in the communities affected….the Coroners decision in this lady’s case is invaluable to victims from communities where these toxic fires are occurring. Hopefully it will have a good effect in the future. One wonders how many cases were caused at that one site then think of all the explosions that went on at the same time and how many cases that caused

That’s what I want to know too, how many more? Why do they keep telling people this known toxic smoke is not dangerous in the short term when it’s never tested, so how can they know. The advice to keep windows closed will not prevent the smaller particles in the smoke from getting into homes, etc. These recycling plants and fires and the recycling industry and the ‘recycling’ of all these ‘nasties’, for want of a better word, back into new products, surely just storing up a huge problem for others exposed in the future, which could lead to an even bigger one than asbestos has caused already if that’s possible, this is something I’ve been researching for some years now. This decision by this Coroner is eye opening to me, so good to hear at last and should by rights open the flood gates for others. Why the national press and others haven’t picked up on it is odd! To me at least. There is on average one fire per day at recycling plants according to EA stats, the Fire Service have already raised concerns at the number and severity. How many were recycling wastes that may have contained construction and demolition wastes from the demolition of old buildings that will undoubtedly have contained asbestos and many other toxic and carcinogenic elements? Wood waste recyclers being of a concern too.

Source http://www.winsfordguardian.co.uk/news/14396370.Winsford_woman__almost_certainly____exposed_to_asbestos__inquest_hears/?ref=fbshr

Then we read this Video

when I walk Louis round in the evening I know who is burning their wood stoves and Im always moaning to Ray about it as I cant breath as I go by In the US they’re banning them from lots of states, as scientifically proven to be bad for health and to cause cancers and respiratory disease. If smoking kills people why not wood burning stoves?

A very thought provoking day.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: